Radio Taiso is not really the best title for this set of exercises, as it is a descriptor that only really makes sense to Japanese people. They are ‘radio’ exercises only in that the music to exercise to is played on the radio; the exercises/movements are done from memory having being learned (usually) in the school system.
A better title might be:
Body-weight exercises for health & fitness
You get the idea – it is a freehand exercise system that requires no special equipment and doesn’t take up a lot of space. Why do I still call it Radio Taiso then? Honestly, because I like it!
Top Ten Benefits of Radio Taiso
The top ten benefits that radio gymnastics can bring to the body:
- It allows the brain AND muscles to relax.
- Can improve heart and lung function, while also promoting blood circulation, thereby enhancing the function of most of the organs in the body.
- Can reduce feelings of fatigue, and make you feel more energetic.
- Can improve posture, and make muscles stronger.
- Can draw a line under the stresses of the day and encourage a good nights sleep.
- If teamed with more strenuous exercise, doing these exercises can help avoid muscle strains.
- Doing radio exercises immediately after work helps relieve temporary mental fatigue caused by stress (or in other words the RAAAAAAGHHH after work!).
- Sticking with it will enhance physical fitness and help prevent illnesses brought on by stress and fatigue.
- Can enhance coordination and rhythm.
- Performing radio exercises to any sort of music is good for your MENTAL health.
Trying Radio Taiso:
Follow the links below to go straight to the shop, or click on the menu for links to the special pages for each program: